 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 641
640  |  642
Subject:
Reporting on LDView for Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:12:31 GMT

As I'm getting back in the swing of all things ldraw, I tried out the
Mac OS X version of LDView (http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/ldview/).
Pretty cool viewer - works well on my G4 running 10.3.7. No crazy
interface artifacts. Encountered a couple little bugs, figured I'd
mention them just for the record:

When you set the location of your ldraw directory, you have to choose
its parent rather than the "ldraw" folder itself. I didn't realize this
at first, so I intuitively picked my actual ldraw folder. The confusing
thing is it will work properly this way immediately after you set it,
but not the next time you run the program (it just displays a blank
black window - this wouldn't be the cause of one of the known display
problems, would it?). I guess if I'd been more astute I could have
figured this out from the default path of ~/Library rather than
~/Library/ldraw. Anyways it seems it shouldn't be too hard to make it
accept either way. Maybe I'm just being picky.

Full screen mode just displays static artifacts, resembling the screen
prior to full screen mode chopped up and rearranged. I've got a Radeon
8500 and OpenGL 1.3.7 if that makes any difference.

I've seen a few missing-surface rendering glitches. Don't know if its a
problem with the parts or what; haven't really bothered to find out.
Here's a screen shot comparing a test model in Mac Brick CAD (left) and
LDView (right) -
http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~jdevona0/computers/lego/comparison.jpg.
You can see something's up with the minifig's torso and legs as well as
some of the bricks behind him. I could probably come up with a better
example but that was what I was using.

Its a cool program despite these things, and pretty polished too. The
spinning-3d-lego effect is a nifty conversation piece.

Jim D