 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 525
Re: Central location for LDraw prefs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:18:09 GMT

James Reynolds wrote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think you would be much better off if you drop
".ldrawdir" from the plist filename above.  That way the file can contain other
settings in the future in addition to the LDRAWDIR setting you have now.  Or put
something else in place of ".ldrawdir" (".apps"?).  I don't know anything about
the Mac OS X preference heirarchy, but I don't think it's a good idea to have a
separate plist file for each setting.  (Surely Apple doesn't encourage this, do
they?)

No, Apple doesn't encourage that.  And you are right, it shouldn't be named
org.ldraw.ldrawdir.plist.

Most preferences for a single application are stored in a single file.  Some
applications use entire folders (especially web browsers--so they can have a
cache, history, bookmarks, etc).

There are a few preferences that are shared amongst many applications.  Notably,
all internet applications use com.apple.internetconfig.plist.  They share prefs
global stuff like that.

The other notable applications that share a pref file are iMovie, iTunes,
iPhoto, and iDVD.  They share com.apple.iapps.plist.  That file contains the
paths of resources that the other apps can use like, "path to iPhoto library",
"path to iTunes library", etc.,.

So how about:

org.ldraw.apps.plist

or

org.ldraw.mac.plist

or even just

org.ldraw.plist

The name of the preference file and the name of the ldraw folder key doesn't
matter to me.

I am mainly doing this because right now there is BrickDraw3D, MBC, L3P
Launcher, LDView, and I am working on getting LCX public presentable.  That is
alot of apps to tell where the ldraw folder is located.

To get LCX public presentable, I have to add a pref pane that lets the user pick
the ldraw folder.  And I figured I should make it a global preference.

Now you know why I brought this up!  ;)

When you say "pref pane" do you mean a "PreferencePane" that goes into
"System Preferences...", or do you mean just a way to set the
preferences from a dialog box opened by selecting "Preferences..." from
the application's "Application" menu? I hope you mean the latter and not
the former. I don't think the LDRAWDIR directory is universally
important enough to merit a Preference Pane. Just my 2¢.

Chris