 CAD / Development / 9768
Re: Request change to ptreleases.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:08:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
I like it.

That's one. :)

One other change you didn't mention is the addition of the BASE
downloads.

Michael had asked for that awhile ago.

That's also very nice, because it allows an app to bootstrap itself
completely, without requiring the user to first install LDraw.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

One thing, though: what's up with the date on the ldraw027.exe file?

Hmmm, what *is* up with those dates?  I'll go fix'em.

One problem I see with supporting filtering by file type is that if an app
asks for ZIP files, it won't see all the updates, and it won't really have
any way of knowing which ones are missing.  I'm not saying you shouldn't
support it, but I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea, unless someone goes
and creates zip versions of all the old updates.

Yeah, I dunno.  We certainly could go create ZIPs for those old updates.

One thing to keep in mind, in general: with the new library licensing upcoming,
it's at least fairly likely that we'll be going to a clean slate, libary-wise.
That is, we'll release a new complete-complete archive that will replace LDraw
0.27 and complete.exe entirely.  And it possibly won't be a simple matter of
new-archive = ldraw-027 + complete.exe.  It's fairly likely, because of
licensing-admin requirements, we'll at least be updating the headers of all
files.  So all of the old files will become fully obsolete.  Maybe at that
point, ptreleases will just return the BASE reference.

If the change-over to the new licensed-library takes place over a significant
amount of time, we might need to have two different ptreleases URLs, one for the
old library and one for the new.

Steve