 CAD / Development / 9148
Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:11:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, James Trobaugh wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Ray Sanders wrote:

With all due respect, writing it in .NET leaves the non-Windows people out in the cold. Java (while it does have an occasional drawback or two) is portable and will run transparently on Windows, Macs and the various unices. This is not an anti-MS thing, its a pro-portability thing. If it could be written to the J2ME standard (Java-2 Micro Edition) its possible that it could even run on a PDA (Palm, Handspring, etc).

Well you’re more than welcome to write your own in Java.

I agree whole-heartedly. As far as I’m concerned, it’s totally inappropriate for people to complain about free software. Constructive criticism is a good thing, because it can help improve the software, but complaining about the author’s choice of programming environment doesn’t qualify as constructive criticism. In this case, the program has already been mostly written; the chosen programming environment isn’t up for debate.

When I write software for others to use for free (such as LDView), I’m doing it for fun. As such, I’ll write it however I feel like it. Sure, I’ll listen to my users’ input to fix bugs and feature requests, but I’m doing this for fun. Maybe I’m going out on a limb by assuming that other free software developers will act in the same way, but I kind of doubt it. Cary wrote the tool in .Net because he wanted to. That’s all the justification that’s needed.

Plus, since he plans to release the source, anyone who wants to can redo it in the programming language/development environment of his or her choice. If you want to port it to Java so it will be portable, feel free. If you want to port it to LISP so it will run fast on the hardware LISP box that you happen to have lying around, go for it.

Now I realize that most users aren’t programmers, and as a consequence really don’t have the option of writing apps for themselves, or porting other people’s apps. But that’s not really the point. The point is that I think it’s wrong to complain about things that are provided to you for free.

--Travis Cobbs