 CAD / Development / 9129
Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:25:45 GMT

"Eduardo" <eduvazhar@telefonica.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark wrote:
I've been working on TrackDraw, a replacement for Track Designer, for • six months
or so. I'll talk about it at BrickFest on Saturday. You can read a • little about
it, and see the BrickFest PowerPoint slides here: • http://www.trackdraw.com

I'm not ready to release the program quite yet.

Cary

Why you did it in MICRO$OFT .NET now if we want to use your program we • need to
install 30mb of crap .NET anyway your program is the 1st ine to use it I • haven't
seen any yet apart from MICRO$OFT LONGHORN a.k.a next windows in 2005

That's pretty harsh.  If you don't like it, don't use it.  Write your own
solution that doesn't rely on .NET if it is that important to you.  I think
your criticism is uncalled for.  FWIW - Cary works for Microsoft so building
an application based on Microsoft's .NET framework certainly makes sense
from his perspective. There really isn't a point in re-inventing the wheel
to remove a dependency on a whole library of useful functions.  Particularly
for an application that will be provided to our community free of charge (a
good deal by the way).

As I have actually seen TrackDraw run in bits and pieces over the last few
months and I am pretty excited about what I have seen so far.  Everytime I
work with Track Designer it drives me crazy how you can't zoom in on an
area.  Working on a large layout in TD is a colossal PITA.  Cary's TrackDraw
application handles zoom in and out as a CAD application should (and it is
fast).

My $0.02, YMMV.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com