 CAD / Development / 8527
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dan Boger wrote:

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 08:51:06PM +0000, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Point taken, but I still think developers should discuss what they want to
add with LDraw.org and Lugnet.cad.dev so that they don't add something
that's already been added or being developed.

I agree that the discussion should take place - I'm just worried about
the "regulation" part.

I really agree with Dan on this point.  As I mentioned in another message,
a standards body could certainly come up with suggestions for standard
commands, but they wouldn't have any power of enforcement.

About the only thing ldraw.org could[1] do is to start an 'LDraw.org
Compatible' program, where various programs could label themselves as LDraw
compliant, if they follow the standards.[2]  But that sounds too
Mickey-Mouse to be worth doing, IMO.

--
Steve

1) Remember kids, 'could' is different than 'should'.

2) Such standard would need to include an outlet for developers to do their
own thing, without having to check with some committee somewhere.