 CAD / Development / 8544
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:11:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Dan Boger wrote:

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 08:51:06PM +0000, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Point taken, but I still think developers should discuss what they want to
add with LDraw.org and Lugnet.cad.dev so that they don't add something
that's already been added or being developed.

I agree that the discussion should take place - I'm just worried about
the "regulation" part.

I really agree with Dan on this point.  As I mentioned in another message,
a standards body could certainly come up with suggestions for standard
commands, but they wouldn't have any power of enforcement.

Very good point. In my conversations with a few semi-outsiders to the LDraw
community, they believed systems could (or should, I see your [1] and rase
you that) be established to encourage participation and compliance, but
could not/should not respond in the negative to non-compliance.

Finding ways to encourage people to comply with a published LDraw.org
standard is a good idea, I think. While that comes after a SB and a
published LDraw.org spec, I think we can brainstorm together good solutions
to that.

About the only thing ldraw.org could[1] do is to start an 'LDraw.org
Compatible' program, where various programs could label themselves as LDraw
compliant, if they follow the standards.[2]  But that sounds too
Mickey-Mouse to be worth doing, IMO.

It doesn't have to be a lot of effort, though. A page, some badges, and
encouragement in news that's put forth on the site about various programs.

Steve Barile made the analogy to me about standards in the computer industry
-- for example, a motherboard with an AGP slot. People buy a specific
motherboard because it has that slot, it's AGP standard compliant. People
download a program because it's LDraw.org compliant, they see the LDraw.org
spec and organization and want programs which do that... (thoughts please)

-Tim