 CAD / Development / 8561
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 06:46:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
<snip>
About the only thing ldraw.org could[1] do is to start an 'LDraw.org
Compatible' program, where various programs could label themselves as LDraw
compliant, if they follow the standards.[2]  But that sounds too
Mickey-Mouse to be worth doing, IMO.

<snip>

2) Such standard would need to include an outlet for developers to
do their own thing, without having to check with some committee
somewhere.

The point of setting an 'LDraw.org Compatible' format would be to set the
framework of LDraw files, not to restrict what can be in LDraw files.  If a
programmer wants to implement thier own extensions, that would OK and if
said extensions gain widespread use then we could, with the developer's
permission, fold them into to base spec.

-Orion