 CAD / Development / 8342
Re: Proposal: New Part Numbering System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 04:56:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This would resolve a fair amount of headaches over numbering, and make it
easier to keep our part systems in synch.

Steve

...snip.

Well I consider a common parts numbering system to be totally nessesary. I have
spent the last 4 months counting and cataloging my collection. For the most
part I have used LDraw number because that was what I had first. I have to
invent some numbers for parts that aren't listed for Ldraw and that's when I
went to Peeron.

Well, they're number were different, and rather than change the unknowns over I
have kept the LDraw numbers.

My issue is going to rear it's ugly head very soon as I am going to use the
parts list on Peeron for some sets i don't want to take apart. (namly the SW
ISD) Where ever part numbers differ I will have to go on description, and well,
my invented descriptions might not fly.

I guess my point is, it can't be perfect, in order to have perfection we'd need
the part number lists from Lego and use those as the iron rule. Obviously
that's been done where applicable, but when we don't have a numebr discrepancys
crop up. Thus a common number system for all players should be implemented.
There are people who are willing to spend the time to implement it, let me know
where I can access the info and I will happily use it.

Greg Howell
"My Brain Hurts!" Mr R.J. Gumby