 CAD / Development / 8331
Proposal: New Part Numbering System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 05:13:21 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi!

I've been talking with Dan and Jennifer Boger tonight, trying to figure out
how we can improve the synchroni[s|z]ation between LDraw and Peeron part
numbers.  And anyone else's part system that wants to play with us, too. :)

Basically, there are two areas of collision in any of the current parts
numbering systems:

1. We don't know the numbers for some parts.
2. We make up codes for part patterns.

Tonight, we were mostly discussing #1.

Right now, there's no coordination between the two sites.  On LDraw, when we
make up a new part file that needs a 'temporary' number, we (actually, I)
can assign unused numbers from 1 to 999.  On Peeron, they started assigning
numbers at 1, and have been incrementing ever since.  Currently, they've got
about 350 such numbers (I think).  LDraw has some 400 assigned 3DN's (not
counting currently unofficial parts).

Peeron's system for assigning numbers is automatic and quick, but collides
badly with LDraw's system.  LDraw's system is clunky and awkward.

Instead of trying to update one or both systems to be in synch, and because
there are only so many numbers between 1 and 999, we thought maybe we should
start a new system of numbering, specifically for handling these unknown
parts.  This new system would be designed from the start to allow different
parts systems to cooperate, so we could all stay in step with each other.

Our amazing brainstorm was this:  start assigning the numbers from 1, and
increment upwards from there.  All such unknown part IDs would be prefixed
with a letter (I suggested 'u' for unknown).  Once a number was given out,
it would be gone for good, even if the LEGO-assigned part number was
discovered later.  It would be simple to make a small webpage for requesting
numbers, although access to the page would be limited to a few people, to
keep things simpler.

How does this idea sound to everyone?  My thoughts follow.

LDraw can keep its current 3DN parts, and could start using the new system
as soon as it's available.  We'd have a large namespace to use for numbers,
8 minus 1 for the prefix, and minus 3 for pXX pattern suffixes.  That would
leave us with 9999 part numbers to assign.  Eventually, we would run out,
and we'd have to figure a different solution.

Peeron could either move their existing x-parts to the new system, or keep
them as is.  Or migrate over time.

This would resolve a fair amount of headaches over numbering, and make it
easier to keep our part systems in synch.

Steve