 CAD / Development / 8341
Re: Proposal: New Part Numbering System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:08:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steven B. Combs wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, David Weiler-Thiessen writes:

This might seem like a silly question - but has anyone asked LEGO for the
missing part numbers.

I agree.  Ask the question first, explain the benefit to the community, and
hope for the answer we are looking for.  It would seem to me that if the
information is available on larger parts for public consumption, surely they
would not maintain that this information is "protected" for parts that do
not have enough surface area to display these numbers.

The question has been asked before, I believe it will be asked again.

The general reason that a corporation would not cooperate in a situation
like is that it would cost them money (ie, they'd have to pay people to
spend their time dealing with it), and they wouldn't get anything in
return.  And there's always the chance that information would end up
getting out to the public earlier than intended (like a group of new
parts being listed in the public 'parts file' before they're actually
available in sets).  But I (of course) can only speculate on TLC
reasonings.

Steve