 CAD / Development / 7547
Re: When Did Tiles Get Their Groove?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:45:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, TWS Garrison wrote:
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Steve Bliss wrote:
Due to this information, I have deleted the unofficial, "~Moved to 3068bp17"
version of 3068p17.dat from Parts Tracker.  And I changed the title of
3068bp17.dat to "Tile  2 x  2 Grooved with Black Circle Pattern".

Isn't the style for the other grooved tiles "with Groove", not "Grooved"?

Yes.  I thought about changing all the other tiles to match this one. :)

(Most of the patterned tiles don't include the "with groove" notation,
because they only exist in one form.  And we can usually use those
characters for better descriptions of the patterns.)

Anyway, staying with the exact verbiage ("with Groove") would have given
us:
     Tile  2 x  2 with Groove with Black Circle Pattern
which I judged to be an ungood thing.  I could have gone with
     Tile  2 x  2 with Groove and Black Circle Pattern
but I keep hoping to figure out clear delimiters for the 'pattern name'.
But I suppose keeping the full base-part name in the pattern name is
more important.

I suppose we could change everything around, and rename all patterned
parts like
     Tile  2 x  2 with Groove and Pattern: Black Circle
  or Tile  2 x  2 with Pattern: Black Circle; and Groove
Anything between 'Pattern:' and ';' would be the pattern name (I'm only
half-kidding here, people).

I think it would make more sense to call the other one "Tile 2 x 2 with
Black Circle Pattern without Groove", since a) the grooveless tiles are
more "exotic" and b) as a regular user of Parts Catalog, I find life is
easier when related pattern files have similar names.

You're right, it's convenient to work with related files when they are
sorted by pattern.  But that's not generally the way the parts are
organized.  When was the last time you saw all the M:Tron patterned
parts sorted together?  The tile 2x2 and tile 2x2 with groove are two
different parts, although they have a high degree of similarity.

Steve