 CAD / Development / 6642
Re: When Did Tiles Get Their Groove?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:49:18 GMT

Steve Bliss <partsref@yahoo.com> writes:
Do any of you oldtimers remember exactly when the bases of the various
tile parts changed, to have the groove/indent around the edge?  Were all
the tiles changed at once, or did it take a while for everything to get
into the groove?

Awhile ago, Kevin Bane went to the trouble of making new LDraw files for
the grooved tiles (current LDraw tiles are grooveless).  It would be
nice (very nice!) to be able to sort the different patterned tile parts
out, and put some groove into the newer tiles.

If anyone has specific examples of patterned tiles in either grooved or
grooveless style, it would be good to know about that as well.

I'll post a list of the tiled parts in a bit.

Any information or insight on this topic would be ... groovy.

I am fairly sure none of the printed tiles had the fingernail grooves.
The grooves have been there for a long time; probably over 20 years
old I would say.  I think that the use of printing on tiles is
significantly more recent.

I have a few old tiles without fingernail grooves, but I consider
those to be in the same category as bricks with the "bubble font" LEGO
on the studs, or 1x bricks without any posts in the bottoms.

On the "grill" tiles, however, which are much more recent anyway, I
have some with and some without fingernail grooves.  I think that they
originally thought people could use the grill slots to free up stuck
tiles, but then realized that the fingernail grooves were necessary.

--Bill.