 CAD / Development / 7512
7511  |  7513
Subject:
Moving around in a CAD model.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:10:52 GMT

This is something I've wanted to do for a while and finally got
around to it again.  The current version of ldglite can be used
as a cheesy scene modeler for making nice POV shots by calculating
the camera stuff for l3p.  The trouble is getting the camera to
show what you want with an easy to use interface.  I'm getting
closer to something nice, but could use some suggestions from
anyone out there who plays 3D games where this sort of thing
might already be implemented in a nice standard way.  Right now
I've got it so the ALT key combined with a mouse drag can move
you around in the model like so.  (warning, 800K avi file)

  ldglite.sf.net/clip0003.avi

It's actually a lot less jumpy in real life.  I'm not a pro at
making screen capture movies.

Anyhow, does anyone have some suggestions for a mouse-keyboard
interface that'll let you move around easily in a 3D world like
this?  Currently I have ALT-mouse moving left,right and up,down.
ALT-SHIFT-mouse turns left,right and up,down.  ALT-CTRL-mouse
moves forward,back and turns left,right.  (I like that best after
I get to the right height, and it's what you see in the movie.)

So far I've heard that ALT may not be the best key to use since
many screen managers seem use it.

Don