 CAD / Development / 6538
Re: Looking for beta-testers (BlockCAD 3)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:05:46 GMT

"Jake McKee" <sink@countersinkdg.com> skrev i meddelandet

Pentium 3 on Dell PC. Windows ME
No previous version. But seems quite fast.

Thanks for testing! I realize I forgot to ask the most important questions:

Which video card? What screen resolution, number of colors?

The user interface is both good and bad.
There are some cool features to it, but there are several things
that seem quite hard to get comfortable with.

If you can spare the time, please write me (privately or here in the group)
and elaborate on the bad/hard things. I've been playing with this program much
too long to realize any problems with it myself :-)

Does this program draw off of the LDraw parts?

No, the part definitions are BlockCAD only, but a model can be saved in the
LDRAW format (.dat) and you can continue building in MLCad.

Well, in fact, BC _can_ read some .dat files made by other programs, but as
the placement of parts is very restricted in BC (studs up, 90 degree rotations
only), the most probable outcome of loading a .dat file is that only some of
the pieces are loaded (This is still under development, and not greatly
advertised).

I also have code that can read a LDRAW part, and convert to a BC part, but as
I haven't seen the results of the LDRAW license discussions, I cannot use this
(or parts made this way) in the published version.

If you have all the needed software (BC, LDRAW, L3P or L2P, POVRay), you can
do one-click POV renderings from BC, getting (more or less) the same view in
POV as you have on the BC screen.

BC was initially made for my kids, but has grown through the years, and has
quite a following all around the world, although not so much is said about it
here in LDRAW country...

Take a look at the Gallery (see sig) if you want to see some of the models
people have built with BC, and also some POV renderings.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm