 CAD / Development / 6341
Re: Help Needed: Boundary Box Utility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:16:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
Could somebody please make a utility that calculates and creates a boundary box for a .dat file?

I want it to be able to take a DOS command line like "bbox.exe C:\Ldraw\Models.Mymodel.dat" and it should create
'MyModel.box' in the same directory. An optional outfile argument would be nice, but not necessary.

It must also exit without the need of "Press any key to continue".

The box files of this utility should include the top studs, as opposed to my part/box replacement files.
So, the output file from processing 3001.dat would read:
1 16  0 10 0  40 0 0  0 14 0  0 0 20  box.dat

I don't think I can do this right away since I already have 2 actual
bug reports and an enhancement request in for ldglite.  (I don't get
many of these so I like to give them priority).  It shouldn't be too
hard to do though.  Everything you need is in the L3 parser which you
can find in the ldglite sources.  Just make a new main function
that gets the dat filename and calls these functions from L3Input.cpp

    LoadModelPre();
    LoadModel(datfilename);
    LoadModelPost();

I believe the bounding box is calculated for you in the Parts[0].BBox
structure.  Then all you have to do is save it to a file.  I might be
able to put this together this weekend, but if you're in a big hurry
it shouldn't be too much of a project.  What do you need this for?

Don