 CAD / 6253
Re: Datsville Overview Map (Was: Boundary Box Utility)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:11:36 GMT

You could specify (or firmly recommend) in the future that models must
posses boundary boxes measured in degrees of tilewidths (or
half-tilewidth's).  Anything less than that would be considered a prop.
Props would then be dealt with seperately, just as in Tore's image.
(portions of models breaching the tile-width limitation would have to be
cropped and converted to a prop).  This would make it easy to "snap" models
to a large grid.  Props, then, would have to have their location clearly
stated in relation to tile-width.  This way, you could move props around and
their positions would always be fixed, relative to the edges of a tile.

This way, I guess, some time in the future, LDraw MPD's could be imported
(/exported) into Track Designer.

You could do this all in LDraw, but I like the idea of a seperate utility.
Plus, it would also cut down on the time needed to change configurations,
views, files, etc.

Now might be the time to designate a new format.  A world file, different
than DAT's, this file would contain scene information, suitable for export
to POVray, like terrain, floor color/bitmap/etc., loose model files,
backgrounds, (etc.) and would only handle bounding boxes for regular model
files.

An extension like *.WR* something, as a world file, might be helpful.

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
That's it for tonight. I bboxed the parts of Datsville and labelled them after their names in town.dat
http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/pix/datsvovr.gif (19 Kb)
Next step: adding *a few* key buildings to help orientation. Tomorrow...

/Tore