 CAD / 6246
6245  |  6247
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Help Needed: Boundary Box Utility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:30:47 GMT

Thank you very much!

I tested it on "my home" in Datsville, and it worked perfectly well, exactly as I want it to.
With these two lines and viewed in L3Lab, any flaws would have been discoved:
1 16  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  ttore.dat
1 47  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  ttore.box
0

Now, next step is larger areas of Datsville...

I went to sleep early last night, so I never even gave it a try. And I'm very glad you took it.

The Datsville community is very grateful for your contribution,
/Tore

Don Heyse wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
Could somebody please make a utility that calculates and creates a boundary box for a .dat file?

I want it to be able to take a DOS command line like "bbox.exe C:\Ldraw\Models.Mymodel.dat" and it should create
'MyModel.box' in the same directory. An optional outfile argument would be nice, but not necessary.

It must also exit without the need of "Press any key to continue".

The box files of this utility should include the top studs, as opposed to my part/box replacement files.
So, the output file from processing 3001.dat would read:
1 16  0 10 0  40 0 0  0 14 0  0 0 20  box.dat

  [snipped:  How-To instructions for making this from L3Input.cpp]

I will give it a try tonight, but I'll probably fail. I'll let you know.

I need it for two purposes:
1. Making an overview map of Datsville from the subdivision in town.dat. (Maybe post-editing of the Y and E values by
hand).
2. Making super-simplified models for previews of animations.

Ok, I decided to give this a shot during my lunch break.  I hacked
ldglite to bits and the results (source and win32 exe) should be here.

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/bbox.zip

Seems to work for 3001.dat, but otherwise it's pretty much untested.

Enjoy,

Don