 CAD / Development / 6222
Re: BrickDraw3D 0.2 released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:55:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Erik Olson writes:
I'm planning to identify where parts have connection points. Studs are easy,
pegs and axle holes not so hard, because the primitives are named and you
can detect that. Places where studs go in are tough to identify. You're
wanting to find gaps. You can use clues, like, look for them at evenly
spaced locations, inside tubes of the proper radius and around those tubes, etc.

You've also got stud3 and stud4 placements to go by (sometimes).  stud3 is
the skinny stud used under 1x bricks and plates.  stud4 is the tube.

Long term, I'd be thrilled to come up with a database of known part
connections, generated mostly by computer. (Remember Rene showing us some
bizarre connections? There's always one more you didn't notice.)

I don't remember anything about that. ;)

Did he mention the minifig legs to bicycle connection?  That's not a simple
binary connection.  It's quaternary -- it requires 4 parts to work together
to make the connection.

The awful part is that it's not some bizarre SNOT technique oddball thingy.
It's a very ordinary connection that most anyone playing with LEGO would do.
If it was obscure, it'd be no big deal to not support it.  But how could we
not support putting a minifig on a bike?

I think that's the most complex intrinsic connection.  Can anyone think of a
worse one?
Steve