 CAD / Development / 6212
Re: BrickDraw3D 0.2 released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:22:39 GMT

I should have said, I know of several bugs in 0.2:

On the Edit menu: Group has weird side effects. Ungroup does nothing. The
rotate commands got all screwed up.  Line colors are still absent in several
places.

Also new: click-drag always moves a piece in the baseplate plane. If you
want the other behaviors, try: Shift-click-drag to push or pull a piece on
the side you click on. Option-click-drag to slide a part in the plane of the
side you click on. Shift-click constrains motion to a line. Option-click
constrains motion to a plane. The surface where you click determines the
line or plane in both cases.

Normal click-drag "drops" the piece when you are done: it falls downward to
snap onto the baseplate or piece below. The modified click drags don't do
this. This is great for bricks, but, really bad for non-rectangular parts,
pegs or spaceship canopies for example. That ornery osterich.dat
demonstrates how inappropriate this behavior is.

I've got more planned for the "natural" piece drop behavior. For starters,
as you move a piece it will float up and down. Further on, Technic peg
detection and automaticsnapping of things together when you drag them close.
Or suppose you drag a Minifig arm toward a torso--it can just snap in place
when you get it close. However, this will require some very smart code. Or
to start with, a table of the most common attachment points.

Next: Sound effects when pieces click! (Just kidding.)

Source code is on sourceforge. It took more than an hour to catch up all the
files there. I've never actually tested that it's complete either...

Matt,  this version is different from the one I mailed you.  (Just throw
that away. I fixed the intersecting bricks bug and some file problems
yesterday.)

-Erik