 CAD / Development / 5317
Re: Another license draft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:04:17 GMT

I have some issues, mostly minor, one major.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
Hi,

  After some more dicussion, I have come to the following proposal for
the license. It's much simpler than Steve's first license but I think it
covers all important points.

I have also copied some parts of the GPL text because I think they are
useful.

Section I: Definitions

"Owner" is the Software's copyright owner.

Which is who? This needs to be addressed somewhere.

"Unaltered Version" is an exact duplicate of the Library as provided by
the
Owner. If you add to, delete, or change any files in the Software
package,
or if you add files to the Software, it is no longer an Unaltered
Version.
Straight conversions from the original ASCII format to a binary format
is
not considered an "Altered Version", provided that the contents of the
library
is not modified in any way.

"Altered Version" is a copy of the Library that has been modified by
someone
other than the Owner.

LCAD: LEGO-style CAD.  In reference to the system of construction toys
produced by The LEGO Company.

Minor issue:

strike ".", add "and the various programs and systems of datamodels that allow
Computer Aided Design (creation) of representations and renderings thereof."
or something to that effect, or else the definition is incomplete. Some
reference to the Library being based on LDraw standards may be helpful.

Library: the set of DAT files, distributed by ldraw.org, and labeled as
the 'LCAD Parts Library'.

Minor point:

What is a DAT file? Can the library contain anything other than DAT files?
Should you claim that anything that is originated by ldraw.org is covered?
what is the difference between originated by and distributed by? These points
were covered in other, more verbose but more precise, versions of the proposed
license.

Redistribute: Making the Library available from a source other than the
www.ldraw.org internet website.

Section II: Requirements

1. The origin of this library must not be misrepresented; you must not
  claim that you wrote the original library. If you use this library
  in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation is
  required along with a link to http://www.ldraw.org.

2. This notice may not be removed or altered from any library
  distribution.

3. Altered library files must be plainly marked as such, and must
  not be misrepresented as being part of the original library.
  If an original file is altered then its header must clearly indicate
that
  it was modified. Changes must also be listed in a separate text file
  included in the distribution package.

4. You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole
or
  in part contains or is derived from the Library or any part thereof,
  be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the
terms
  of this License.

MAJOR point:

I cannot accept this as written. This is the GPL problem that GNU solves with
the LGPL, I think.

If I do a "work" that contains or is derived from the Library it is licensed
(and therefore freely redistributable) at no charge. That's fine for parts but
since a design or model or rendering or set of instructions is a "work"
(unless you define differently) which contains parts of the library (by
reference) that means that I cannot assert copyright on instructions that I
produce or renderings that I make, or if I can, I cannot prevent
redistribution for free of my copyrighted original work.

Totally unacceptable.

Look at how LGPL gets around this problem to allow incorporation of "free"
work into "for pay" products. Or consider being more explicit to
redefine "work" more tightly to avoid the problem. Saying that it's obvious
what is meant won't cut it for me, this is a large sticking point. Very large.

GNU C++ licensing does not enjoin authors from charging for programs written
with it. And the licensing verbiage makes that clear. This doesn't.

I will assume that this is an oversight on your part, but if it is actually
your intent that I be enjoined from charging for instructions (that come with
my kits, that is, from doing what I do *here*:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=449243188) then we have
a much bigger, much much bigger, problem.

And we need to thrash it out now.

5. If a new file is distributed with the library then it must be
installed in a different
  directory then the original library or distributed in a separate
archive.

// BEGIN COPY OF GPL

6. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Library
except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise
to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Library is void, and will
automatically terminate your rights under this License.
However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under
this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such
parties remain in full compliance.

7. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
distribute the Library or its derivative works. These actions are
prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by
modifying or distributing the Library (or any work based on the
Library), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all
its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the
Program or works based on it.

8. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Library), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Library subject to
these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions
on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not
responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.

9. If, as a consequence of a court judgment or allegation of patent
infringement or for any other reason (not limited to patent issues),
conditions are imposed on you (whether by court order, agreement or
otherwise) that contradict the conditions of this License, they do not
excuse you from the conditions of this License. If you cannot distribute
so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this License and
any other pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you may not
distribute the Program at all. For example, if a patent license would
not permit royalty-free redistribution of the Program by all those who
receive copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only way you
could satisfy both it and this License would be to refrain entirely from
distribution of the Program.

If any portion of this section is held invalid or unenforceable under
any particular circumstance, the balance of the section is intended to
apply and the section as a whole is intended to apply in other
circumstances.

It is not the purpose of this section to induce you to infringe any
patents or other property right claims or to contest validity of any
such claims; this section has the sole purpose of protecting the
integrity of the free software distribution system, which is implemented
by public license practices. Many people have made generous
contributions to the wide range of software distributed through that
system in reliance on consistent application of that system; it is up to
the author/donor to decide if he or she is willing to distribute
software through any other system and a licensee cannot impose that
choice.

This section is intended to make thoroughly clear what is believed to be
a consequence of the rest of this License.

10. If the distribution and/or use of the Library is restricted in
certain countries either by patents or by copyrighted interfaces, the
original copyright holder who places the Program under this License may
add an explicit geographical distribution limitation excluding those
countries, so that distribution is permitted only in or among countries
not thus excluded. In such case, this License incorporates the
limitation as if written in the body of this License.

11. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Library into other free
programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the
author to ask for permission.

// END OF GPL COPY

Section III: Disclaimer

The Library is provided "as is" and without any express or implied
warranties, including, without limitation, the implied warranties of
merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.   The Owner is not
liable for any damages or other costs incurred by you by using the
Library.

Leonardo

++Lar