 CAD / Development / 4881
Re: Windows 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:43:23 GMT

Hy Mike,

I like the idea but I will have to have a deeper look into it ... With NT
you will not have any problems using two CPU even if MLCad is single
threaded (but it isn't some gui things run parallel) but in this case NT
will properly give MLCad it's own CPU since it needs much processing power

Michael

Mike Poindexter <lego@poindexter.cc> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
Fxv3uw.DxL@lugnet.com...
Michael,

I believe the reason that NT is faster in big machines is that it can
address large amounts of memory more quickly.  When I was discussing NT • with
a Photoshop expert, he said that for 128MB+ machines, it is much faster in
NT, as Win9x can only address 64 MB RAM at a time.  It made sense when he
told me, but my re-explaining of it probably is not quite accurate. • Either
way, I have been told by others that NT was the one to use for speed in a
high RAM system.

I do have a tall order for you:  Can you make MLCAD multi-threaded?  I • will
be upgrading my system to a dual PIII 800 in about 2 months and would love
to have MLCAD be able to access both processors for more speed.

Mike Poindexter

Michael Lachmann <michael.lachmann@maxmobil.at> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad, Rui Manuel Silva Martins writes:
<SNIP>
But I personnaly wouldn't sugest someone to use W2000, if they weren't • already
using NT. Either NT or W2000 are big Memory and CPU Hogs.
So, if you want to keep your speed, just wait a little bit more and get • windows
Millenium, the sequel to Win98.

See ya
Rui Martins

That's somehow new for me, since at home (I'm using a PII 350 with • 128MB-Ram)
programs like MLCad are definitly faster on NT than on 95 or 98. Sure • the
display response and boot-time is shorter than on NT, but when it goes • to
calculate things NT seems to be faster than anything else ... except • Linux
:-)
From friends I heared similar things.

Michael