 CAD / Development / 4569
Re: Suggestion for new meta command & help request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:30:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Michael Lachmann" <michael.lachmann@maxmobil.at> writes:

Maybe I'm wrong and such a thing is available already, but what about
a meta command: 0 CENTER x y z which defines the default center for
rotations?

The problem with such a thing would be that many parts have _many_
natural rotation points.  Take, for example a simple thing as a 1×n
plate.  A user may very well want to rotate it by any of the studs,
depending on how it is connected to another brick.  And that's not all:
it can also be connected to a hollow stud by any of the "nibs" on the
underside of the plate, meaning a total of 2n-1 natural rotation points
for a common 1×n plate.

Of course there are parts which have one and only one natural rotation
point, but in these cases the part _should_ (in my opinion) have this
point as the origin.  We should make review new parts thoroughly to make
sure that this applies IMO.

I believe the problem is not the rotation point itself if the center for
rotations is set to a stud or between two studs every thing would work fine,
since the default step width of MLCad is halve a stud. So after rotating you
can place it very exact.
I learned in the last days the problem is with parts which are e.g. 1 + 1/2
stud wide, since MLCad now rotates somewhere on 0.75 stud which is wrong in
such a case. In this case a CENTER command would help.

The bigger problem I saw is the fact that the step with on the axes is not
equal meaning x and z have a step width of 10 (= halve stud) but on the y axle
its 7 ... no problem until now, but if you rotate a part by 90 degree arround
the z axle than this step widths are no longer valid and this is the point
where it seems to me MLCad runs into troubles.
For the moment beeing I have realy no idea how to come arround this problem,
but maybe someone reads that and has a good idea.
Remembering the orientation of a part or recalculating it all the time does not
seem a good way, since this would work only if the part is rotated in 90 degree
steps, any other angle will cause other step widths at all.

The only way I can see at the moment is changing the snap methode in MLCad
somehow ... but how?

What would you suggest as the best way to define the rotation point?
Please try to describe it as clear as possible from the user point of
view!

I think the LEdit approach work very nicely.

Yes sure but not in MLCad since that doesn't have a cursor, and placing the
center point with the mouse is not realy easy I think.

Fredrik
Thanks,
   Michael