 CAD / Development / 3950
Re: Argh! Need Help with POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:19:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kya Morden writes:

Well, I tried what you suggested and well, I get an error with the
very first inc file it tries to load (in this case it's lg_2348.inc)
Anyway, it says "numeric expression expected but undeclared identifier
'LG_WALL_WIDTH' found instead."  Okay, great, that means absolutely
nothing to me other than it found something instead.  So, uh, I have
this feeling that it wants to see another file some where in the grand
scheme of things.

   Yes, it does indirectly. That error means that it sees something
called "LG_WALL_WIDTH" in the file lg_2348.inc but it hasn't been told what
this means yet. So you'll need to put something at the top of your POV file
that will tell it what it means. The file that has this information (and lots
of other declarations of measurements that you'll probably need) is
lg_defs.inc. This file sets LG_WALL_WIDTH equal to 0.16 so then anything after
that which refers to LG_WALL WIDTH will know that it should use 0.16 instead.
So you would typically want to #include it along with lg_color.inc which has
the definitions of the colors you will probably use. I always put these lines
at the top of my LGeo projects:
   #include "lg_defs.inc"
   #include "lg_color.inc"

   This should take care of your errors, but you'll still have to set up your
scene with lights and a camera, along with setting and positioning your
objects... Sounds like a big hassle, right? So just read below for a simple
way to have this all done for you...

When I create the pov file, I type in l2p van.dat van.pov  Is this all

   What you might want to do instead is type:
   l2p -f van.dat van.pov

   The '-f' option will set up a full scene for you, ready-to-render as the
program's help/usage description says. (Type 'l2p --help' to see the
availablbe options for yourself.) All you have to do is load the .pov file in
POV-Ray and then render it and everything should work fine. (I know I've said
that before, but *this time* it will work, I promise!) This will get you
started and then you can work up to arranging your own scenes for yourself
once you are comfortable with the basics of LGeo and the POV-Ray environment.