 CAD / Development / 3085
Re: Comprehensive meta-command list
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 00:08:50 GMT

Gary Williams skrev i meddelelsen ...

Lars C. Hassing wrote in message <939391242.591663@ns.cci.dk>...
Gary Williams wrote in message ...

In addition to being easier to comprehend, it has the advantage that each
part and primitive file only has to concern itself with its own vertex
order, and is not dependent on any other file.  This is the primary • benefit.
This makes parts and primitives truly modular and interchangeable.

"...not dependent on any other file..." Well, I hope you agree that files
depend on the inside/outside-definition of subfiles?
Otherwise a file wouldn't know whether or not to use the INVERT.
/Lars

I'm not sure I follow.  The rendering engine will always assume an implied
INVERT whenever it encounters a negative orientation matrix determinant to
cancel the effect of a mirror operation reversing the order of the • vertices.
If a true inversion is desired then there will be an explicit INVERT tag
before the subfile reference.

No file ever needs to know how the vertices in its subfiles are oriented.

Right, a file should not bother whether subfiles use CCW or CW or none.
But it should know the orientation (inside/outside-definition) of the
subfiles.

The only information that gets passed from A to B during rendering is the
concatenated orientation/position matrix, its color, and the current INVERT
state.

I agree.
/Lars