 CAD / Development / 2862
2861  |  2863
Subject:
Suggestions for developers of LCAD programs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:44:29 GMT

The creation of new LEGO CAD programs based on the LDraw DAT format is
great, but I continue to use LEdit for a number of reasons.  So, here are
a few suggestions for Mike and Gary that could make me switch (these are
all characteristics of LEdit:

1) Highlight the current part in some way (preferably wireframe) and
center a cursor on the part so that I can see where its center of
rotation is.

2) Allow the current part to be moved without redrawing the entire model.
The redraws are the most annoying problem in current alternatives to
LEdit.

3) Allow part selection with the same number of key strokes (or fewer)
than LEdit. (ie, P, nnnn, ENTER where nnnn is the part number)

4) Allow color selection similarly (3-4 key strokes).  (I don't want to
use the mouse to choose a color)

5) Insert new parts the way LEdit does (ie, same part, same color, same
position, but default orientation 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1)

6) Support line-as-stud to reduce clutter while building

7) Support *all* shortcut keys that LEdit supports (see
http://library.advanced.org/20551/keys.html for a list)

Here are some suggestions for improvement on LEdit (some have already
been implemented in the current alternatives:

1) Allow user defined views (or at least multiple 3D views)

2) Improve searching for parts (MLCAD is pretty good for this,
integrating LDList would be even better)

3) Support higher resolutions so that zooming out doesn't ruin quality as
much.

4) Allow direct editing of part definition line (for mirroring, scaling)

Remember, these are just suggestions, but IMHO, the first 7 are useful
features of LEdit which I strongly recommend implementing.
--Bram