 CAD / Development / 2866
Re: Suggestions for developers of LCAD programs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 05:11:08 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote in message <19990920.131952.5095.0.braml@juno.com>...
The creation of new LEGO CAD programs based on the LDraw DAT format is
great, but I continue to use LEdit for a number of reasons.  So, here are
a few suggestions for Mike and Gary that could make me switch (these are
all characteristics of LEdit:

1) Highlight the current part in some way (preferably wireframe) and
center a cursor on the part so that I can see where its center of
rotation is.

Don't have too much to say about this one, but having to center a part in
Ledit before turning is annoying.   I like the "a" key function in Ledit--I
haven't used any other program long enough to figure out if such a key
exists.(1)

2) Allow the current part to be moved without redrawing the entire model.
The redraws are the most annoying problem in current alternatives to
LEdit.

Especially for me--my building roofs are usually subfiles, and I always add
them last.  If I misplace it, I've gotta' wait for the entire model, and I
can't just guess where it goes because the bricks beneath are waiting to be
redrawn.

3) Allow part selection with the same number of key strokes (or fewer)
than LEdit. (ie, P, nnnn, ENTER where nnnn is the part number)

I *like* being able to see the parts. When modeling, I usually have
parts.lst open in Wordpad, and the VEC open in LDAO.  I *don't* like having
to alt-tab back and forth, waiting for VEC to catch up to where I want to
be, etc.  A finer definition of parts (ie:  brick, 1x; brick, 2x;  plate,
3x; wing small,), smaller graphics that can be enlarged, and preset
locations of the parts within the category tied to hotkeys should make
building faster and easier.

Hmm, I kinda' lost myself on that one.  Example:

    Category:  Brick, 2x

Pos. 1=2x1
Pos 2=2x2

With the positions always relative to the brick size.  With one press of a
button, I could change from pos.1, 2x1 to pos. 10, 2x10.  With a click of
the mouse and a button stroke, I could change from 1x1 to 2x3.  (1)

4) Allow color selection similarly (3-4 key strokes).  (I don't want to
use the mouse to choose a color)

Hotkeys.  (1)

5) Insert new parts the way LEdit does (ie, same part, same color, same
position, but default orientation 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1)

I forgot what program I tried last, but everytime I chose a part, I had to
zoom it out and try to gauge where exactly I wanted to place it.  No simple
"1 click" away.

6) Support line-as-stud to reduce clutter while building

And to reduce redraw time.

7) Support *all* shortcut keys that LEdit supports (see
http://library.advanced.org/20551/keys.html for a list)

Hotkeys, hotkeys, hotkeys--(Hey, a few I didn't know about!)

Here are some suggestions for improvement on LEdit (some have already
been implemented in the current alternatives:

1) Allow user defined views (or at least multiple 3D views)

Esc-file-save, modelname.dat enter alt-enter Ldao, modelname.dat, modeler,
first-line click, last line click,  rotate, ?-axis, n degrees, file save
ledit, alt-enter,
esc-file-load modelname.dat.

Did I miss a step?

2) Improve searching for parts (MLCAD is pretty good for this,
integrating LDList would be even better)

alt-enter, start menu--oh, nevermind.  Please?

<snip>

The remainder I can't really comment upon since I've yet (yet) to encounter
problems here.

Remember, these are just suggestions, but IMHO, the first 7 are useful
features of LEdit which I strongly recommend implementing.
--Bram

Please don't get me wrong--I *have* tried all the Lego CAD programs that I
can find so I can make an honest comparison (although, for some reason,
tonite I cannot type--I hope I catch all my arrows--er, errors).  I feel
guilty about offering even constructive criticism becuase coding such
programs is beyond my current range of abilities.  I can write a batch file
that'll clear the screen, change directories, then ask if you really want to
format c:\., but other than that...(2)

I am thankful for everybody who takes the time to do those things I cannot
do--parts, programs, raytracing (although I'm learning), etc.  Keep up the
good work.

Brian (bbq) Sauls

1)  I use both hands--one on the mouse, the other on the keyboard.  On my
system, I have hotkeys for everything that I use on a regular basis.  Thanks
to games such as Doom, Quake, and various flight sims, my hands can operate
independently of each other.  In Ledit I am chained.  I would *love* to be
able to do more in the windows-based programs with hotkeys.  And if I missed
'em, point me to the FAQ. I'll learn.:)

2)  I can feed 450 people at one sitting.  I can make prime rib so tender
you can cut it with a spoon.  I can turn a block of ice into a swan.  And I
know just enough about computers to be mostly harmless.