 CAD / Development / 2861
Re: File format for set inventories?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:04:00 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote in message <37e651b1.241662776@lugnet.com>...
On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 16:38:55 GMT, "Gary Williams" <graywolf@pcpros.net>
wrote:

Hello again,

For the Lego CAD program I'm developing, I got the idea for allowing users
to load a set inventory file.  Then the parts from that set would appear • in
a part bin window.

This is a great idea, especially if you also give the user the ability to
easily build an inventory, for example by dragging parts from a parts list,
parts search or catalog view-window onto a parts bin window.

This "inventory building" function would allow people to graphically create
RL set inventories (or at least get a good start on them).  It would also
allow users to go through the process of locating and grabbing a bunch of
different parts all at once, and then go build without constantly looking
for parts one-by-one.

Yup. :) Basically, parts, primitives, and subassemblies can be dragged from
any part bin, edit/view window, step editor, set inventory window, or
Explorer folder and dropped onto any other part bin or edit window.

A user can define as many part bins as he wants, and only open the ones that
he wants to use at a given moment.  So I might have a "Technic parts" bin
and a "plates" bin and a "Technic tires/hubs" bin open (all will be floating
tool windows).  Whatever bins you had open when you last closed the program,
will be re-opend and positioned exactly as you left them when you start it
up again.

The program will ship with several bins pre-defined to save the user a lot
of time sorting/grouping parts.

Sorry for going off-topic here.

Anders Isaksson and I were discussing an inter-program communication
protocol (using the WM_COPYDATA message) for allowing parts to be dragged
from his LDList program into my LDAO program's editor.  It would be great
if we could agree on a standard for dragon drop between all LCAD programs
(at least, a standard for LCAD in Windows).

Interesting.  If a standard is made, I will support it.

As the user dragged parts out of this bin to build their
model, the bin would become emptier, thus reducing the time required to • find
the needed parts.

Please make the "limited-count parts" an option that can be turned on and
off.

Good idea.

So...I'd like to propose the development of some standard set inventory • file
format that other developers would agree to support.  I'm sure other
programs could also benefit from this format (inventory tracking programs,
perhaps).

A standard format would be great, but it would almost have to be a subset
of a general inventory format, because you could only meaningfully support
parts which have been modeled in LDraw.

Or at least parts that have been given names and exist as empty files /
place-holders.

A line beginning with '0' would be a comment; for any other line, the • first
number would be the quantity of that part, the second number would be the
DAT file name, the third number would be a color code.  Or something • similar
to this.

Suggestion 1 (well, not really #1, I'd have to delete everything I've
written so far): Start with the format the way you want it, but be sure to
include the "inventory builder" tool.

Already on my to-do list.

Suggestion 2: support reading DAT/MPD files as inventory resources.

Already on my to-do list.

Suggestion 3: allow files to be deilimited with tabs and commas, as well as
spaces.

Suggestion 4: have a tagged import function, where the first line of the
file tells you the order of the fields on each line of the rest of the
file.  So something like:

Color, Quantity, Code
15, 1, 3001
1, 27, 3010

Great ideas.  By making it flexible it'll be easier to import all the
pre-existing inventories that were manually created.

-Gary