 CAD / Development / 1564
Re: "~moved to" files and parts.lst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:03:57 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:35:15 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 06:17:08 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) wrote:

Now tell me what I am misunderstanding.

Part #30079 is mis-positioned.  It is not aligned for easy placement.  I
don't remember the exact numbers, maybe you have to move the piece up by
-3LDU to 'click' it into a model, I don't remember.  There was discussion
about correcting the part, but it was decided that fixing would mess up any
existing models, and so the part shouldn't be changed.  But if the part
number were to ever change (extremely unlikely, I'll admit), the new
part-file could be corrected, and the ~Moved to shortcut could offset the
new part to mimic the old part.  But when people updated their models, LDAO
would ignore the positioning information in the ~Moved to shortcut, and
mis-position the part.

Admittedly, this is a far-fetched example, since nothing is likely to
happen with that particular part-file.  But it shows that there are
reasonable cases where the ~Moved to shortcut might not be a simple

1 16 0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1

format.

Steve

Ah.....  Now I see your point.  That would be a valuable feature, if we moved a
part slightly using the ~moved to file.  And it would have no affect on a part
that has not been re-positioned in the ~moved to file.

While an interestion conjecture, I think if you want to play with the parts
updater, why not add file recursion and/or entire directory handling?

:-)

-- Terry K --