 CAD / Development / 10549
  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

--snip-- (...) Personally I'm against maintaining it. It forces us into strange naming conventions for something which probably affects no users of the software. Tim (17 years ago, 28-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) It it really so? We still use renderers and utilities that have command line inputs, and I don't know but I have a strong feeling that long names may cause problems like "Unofficial" turs into "Unoffi~1" followed by path not found errors. And (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) I'm not sure about 98 and its ilk but I've never had any problems with long filenames in XP for l3p (and possible other command lines although I can't remember any off hand). I would certainly recommend against using spaces in filenames as (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) And sorry to reply to myself... Could people using older operating systems test this? I'm happy to maintain the status quo if there are problems but if no-one finds problems then I think we make the majority suffer for something that isn't (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) First of all, I agree that we should avoid using space in filenames for all official stuff. It's just too problematic. However, that's not a reason to forbid the use of long filenames in general. The thing is, any program that doesn't support (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) The only character either Linux or Mac OS X is allergic to is '/'. Spaces are perfectly acceptable under both. One need only take care that any paths fed to the shell are properly escaped. Ideally anybody writing shell scripts or system() (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) Well, I made a small program in Delphi 7 that lists the command line parameters, drag and dropped a file named "LongFileName.dat" in it, and here is the surprising result: (URL) (Running on a Win98SE PC.) So I think long file names still has (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) (URL) Here's> the output on XP. ROSCO (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) Thanks, Well well, first advantage of downgrading to XP, I guess. Just to be sure, you did drag and drop into the "application", or did you write it in a command line? /Tore (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) Yeah I know they can be included but it's usually a safe idea not to. When setting a standard I'd be wary of allowing anything that is commonly poorly interpreted (which I suspect the escaped characters are). Tim (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) That was command line, (URL) the result with drag n drop> is similar. ROSCO (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) My best guess is at that time MS was trying to make things safe for old programs (although it seems senseless for them to have done this with Win32 apps). If you call the Win32 function GetLongPathName on the short path, it will give you the (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) (URL) on Win2000 SP4 w. (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  I hereby accect long file names!

(...) It's an utterly complicated way, but it works! Only problem is that GetLongPathName erases all other kinds of command line parameters. Now that I know that at least it is possible to avoid shortened pathnames, I rest my case. I no longer (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) showing D:DownloadsShowParameters.exe The second line (Label2) however, stays blank. With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen. (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)