 CAD / Development / 10177
    Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Stefan Gustavson
   As some of you might have seen, I have been doing some programming lately to convert various 3D file formats to DAT format. This resulted in the MAX2DAT converter, which is useful but does not handle primitives, and is limited to the file formats (...) (19 years ago, 5-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Roland Melkert
     (...) A while back i played around with blender, it's gone opensource in the meantime. (URL) don't know the current version but with the old blender i managed to get plaint text exports whom where very usable for post processing. I was playing (...) (19 years ago, 5-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Stefan Gustavson
     (...) Indeed, thanks for reading! :) Blender is a good modeling and animation tool, but last time I checked I found the vertex and triangle tools unwieldy, so it was not very useful for detailed low-poly editing. I should check back on it, though, (...) (19 years ago, 6-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Stefan Gustavson
     (...) I just read this about the latest Blender release: "completely rewritten and upgraded mesh modeling" That looks promising. I'll definitely try it out! Stefan (replying to his own posts...) (19 years ago, 6-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Stefan Gustavson
     I have now given Blender a good test, and I am hooked. The user interface is a bit weird at first, but it grows on you, and I expect it to be quite easy to use once I get the hang of it. The software features are perfect for this: GNU Free software (...) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Orion Pobursky
     (...) Some work has already been done in LDraw Blender import and export. I've used this and it works well for import: (URL) the related Lugnet thread: (URL) was an earlier work: (URL) the related lugnet thread: (URL) (19 years ago, 8-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

         Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Stefan Gustavson
     (...) Thank you, very good and useful links! They were good examples to start me out in Python and LDR import/export for Blender, and the latest script was a very well working import. Export needs some more work to make a working parts authoring (...) (19 years ago, 15-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Darrell Urbien
   (...) Hi Stefan, While I think my opinion on this is well known, I'll answer your call for responses here.. I agree that AFOL don't "need" high-end tools for parts-authoring.. Any way to incorporate a graphical interface into the process would be a (...) (19 years ago, 6-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

        Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring —Stefan Gustavson
   (...) So nice to hear that, and I actually care quite a lot! I have used Lego quite a lot myself to teach computer graphics. Not CAD as such, but 3D modeling, animation and programming. Swedish M Sc students have often grown up with a large pile of (...) (19 years ago, 7-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

        (canceled) —Darrell Urbien

        LEGO in CG classes was: easier parts authoring —Darrell Urbien
   (...) could post some of the other things your class has created? One question: The credits list MLCAD and LDraw as applications used in the creation of the video - can you elaborate on this? Did they use LDraw measurements (or actual parts) in the (...) (19 years ago, 9-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.edu, FTX)

        Re: LEGO in CG classes was: easier parts authoring —Stefan Gustavson
   (...) (Sorry for the late reply, I forgot to check up on the thread.) You may share the movie freely, just keep the credits in there. The other Lego-related student animations I would have liked to share were computer-animated Lego minifig remakes (...) (19 years ago, 15-Mar-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.edu, FTX)