 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 454
Re: Missing primitives after part update.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 03:02:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, William Black wrote:
I'm not exactly sure how to make sure the parts are in the correct
directories. As for the "Scan Parts" command I have run that multiple
times.What happens is that MLCAD will say a file can not be found but when I
search the file is indeed in the models directory where I place all the new
parts I download as per their recommendations. This is becoming very
frustrating.

It sounds like you've ended up with files in the wrong folders, and it doesn't
matter how many times you run the Scan command, since MLCad has no idea which
files should be where.  It just assumes you placed them correctly, and updates
its own list of parts that it can display in the sidebar accordingly (that is
_ALL_ the Scan function does, as far as I've been able to discern).

So, if you don't want stuff in the wrong place, the quickest solution is to
delete all of the files (but not folders) in the /ldraw/parts, /ldraw/parts/s,
/ldraw/p and /ldraw/p/48 folders.  Also, check the folder that contains your
LDRAW folder and make sure you don't have duplicate /parts and /p folders there
(if you do, delete both folders and their contents).

Now you have a fresh, squeaky clean system.  Download ldraw027.exe to the folder
that contains your LDRAW folder.  Do not put it in the actual LDRAW folder, as
that will bury the parts files in ldraw/ldraw/x, and that's not where you want
them.  Run it.  Then download complete.exe to the same location and run it.
Open MLCad up and run the Scan function (you might have to wade through a slew
of missing file notifications) and tell it to rewrite the file when prompted.
This will set MLCad up to only use the official parts from the two .exe files
you just ran, and all of the required subfiles should all be present.

Once you've got that taken care of, open every model in your library (hopefully
it's not a huge library at this point, and this process will go quickly) and if
you get any missing file notes, write down the name of the files.  These are
probably either official files that are quite late in being released in an
official update, or unofficial files that you or other people used in models
that you have saved on your system.  Go to the Parts Tracker section of
LDRAW.org and look up each part one at a time.  Download the main part file to
/ldraw/parts (right click on the Download link at the top), and then scroll down
the page to see if there are any Related Subfiles listed for that part.  If
there are, download each one, but make sure you're sending it to the right place
(right click on the extended file name at the far left of the page and drop it
in whatever folder matches the text before the actual file name, watching out
for the difference between /parts/ and /parts/s/, and between /p/ and /p/48/).
Once you have done that for every missing part in every model, run the Scan
function one last time, close MLCad after it has written a new parts file,
reload it, and go through every model file again.  If you've followed these
instructions, you should get no missing file notifications.  If this is true,
next go through all of the branches in the library tree (upper left sidebar) and
make sure that no missing file notes come up when you open any specific
category.  If they do, again note the names of missing files, look them up in
the Parts Tracker, drop them in their respective folders, close MLCad, reopen
it, and go through the parts tree again to make sure you've caught all of the
missing bits.