 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5777
Re: New Part: 41530 Propellor 8 Blade 5 Diameter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:21:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Amnon Silverstein wrote:
I have been working on the Hailfire Droid Wheel. That probably should be done
with sub-parts too. It has 96 fins and 168 teeth, so it is going to be a pretty
big dat file. For something with this amount of sub-parts, does it make sense
make sub-sub-parts? For example, I could have a tooth sub-part, and then list
it
168 times. Or, I could have a tooth sub-sub-part, and a group of 14 teeth
sub-part, and the final part would use 12 14-toothgroup sub-parts. That way,
instead of 168 parts I just list 26 parts. If I use sub-sub-sub-sub parts, I
could just have a list as small as 16 parts total (factoring 168 into 3 7 2 2
2). Or would this be overdoing it?

Using sub-sub-sub-parts is no problem, this currently happens to the stud group
primitives, too.
stug8.dat contains 4 references to stug4.dat
stug4.dat contains 4 references to stug2.dat
stug2.dat contains 4 references to stud.dat

I'd recommend taking a balanced approach to nested sub-filing.  A 48x48 area of
studs could be NSF'ed to 22 lines of code, but would require 10 very trivial
subfiles.  This trades one kind of complexity (lots of code lines) for another
kind of complexity (lots of files).

A specific issue with 'lots of files' complexity is that it seriously slows down
the review process.  Parts which use multiple (new) files typically take much
longer to be certified for release.

My personal rules of thumb for judging whether to create a subfile are:
1. The subfile should be generally useful and re-usable.
2. Or it should reduce the size of all files involved in the part by 32Kb.

32Kb is an arbitrary value; it's my attempt to achieve balance between the
amount code vs the number of files.

Steve