 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5766
Re: New Part: 41530 Propellor 8 Blade 5 Diameter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:37:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Amnon Silverstein wrote:
   Sorry,

That dat file seems to have been scrambled. Here is a corrected version

It looks like you can’t post DAT files in FTX mode; you have to use Plain Text, as the file is still scrambled. As for the part itself, you definitely want to create sub-part for a single blade, and then reference that sub-part 8 times in the main part. That will make the file a great deal smaller.

Other than that, I only have a few things to add after a quick glance. The part is missing linetype 5 lines on the curved sections. Strictly speaking, these are only required on the convex (outer) curves. However, if you include them on both the concave and convex curves, LDView will smooth the curves out visually.

Also, you have three linetype 2 lines in the base of the sections between each blade. Looking at the pictures of the part, I think those sections are curved, and consequently shouldn’t have linetype 2 lines. Linetype 2 lines are only supposed to be used at sharp corners. Those sections would also look better with twice as many polygons. They’re fairly faceted right now. (That’s a judgement call, though; it’s a small section that will be barely visible any time the part is used in a larger model.)

You don’t use any primitives. I’m guessing you modeled the part in a CAD program and imported it (which would also explain the lack of sub-parts for each blade). At the very least, I see two spots that could be replaced with cylinder primitives. (I even counted, and they’re the correct 16 facets currently.) Not being a part author myself, I’m not sure if there are other places that could use primitives or not. (I’m familiar with the curved geometric primitives due to the fact that I coded algorithmic replacements for them into LDView, but I’m not so familiar with the other primitives.)

Finally, all the polygons in the part have consistent (counter-clockwise) winding, so you can add a 0 BFC CERTIFY command to the top, and you’ll have a working BFC-certified part.

You seem to have chosen a very difficult part for your first go at part authoring. I’d say you did an amazingly good job. I think you made very good decisions regarding the trade-off between a highly accurate part with an obscenely large number of polygons and a good looking part with far fewer polygons.

--Travis