 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5754
Re: Anyone working on monorail tracks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:26:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   The info scans are great because they show how the parts go together, as well as the undersides.. Unfortunately they’re not so good for measuring because the extra parts pushed the rail out-of-flat (the side face is not perfectly parallel to the glass of the scanner).
I tilted the underside shots to show how the attachment points affect the framework, because it wouldn’t be possible to see in a head on-shot (which would be pretty warped anyways).

The distribution of the framework is excactly the same horizontally as in the straigt version, just displaced vertically to follow the curve, so that would be the best reference you can get - you should even consider copying it directly. Have you been able to download it yet?

   This one, from the instructions, might work too:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SirBugge/Lugnet/Monorail-ramp/g-example2.jpg

I wouldn’t count on that one being anything near precise.

   Question: are both parts the same radius? IOW if you reversed the concave one and placed it on the convex one, are they exactly the same arc? If so (and it would make sense they were the same) I can use the instruction scan as a reference.

I’m not sure: the parts is bent a bit out of shape when they’re not locked in a bigger structure (and I’ve been clever enough to dissassemble them). Please use the two 600dpi pictures to map out the curve: they should be the best reference you can get.

   I’ll see if I can knock out a rough mock up and you can tell me if the geometry looks right. We can work out the details (the track, the support mounts, etc.) later.

Thanks, I really appreciate what you’re doing here.

Cheers NB