 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5746
Re: Anyone working on monorail tracks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:49:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   Ahh, it’s up for me now. From the pics the parts don’t look too hard; I have no idea what the real parts look like so I don’t know what’s underneath..

It has a similar girder structure to the other monorail tracks:

Only it’s curved and very nasty.

   Perhaps that’s not important for your application though?

Well, I’m actually using the part upside down because I like the industrial look of the girders... but for the building/recording instructions part of the project, A moc up without girders underneath would suffice (as long as the interiour surfaces are there).

   What I would need is a detailed sketch with dimensions (remember my students are NOT AFOL so they have no idea how the part is used). If you can sketch it we can model it (probably in AutoCAD, maybe in 3DS or SolidWorks). Then I can translate it using 3DWin into a .DAT part for use in MLCAD. Part will be very messy (i.e. no primitives; cond. lines might not be up to snuff; lots of faces) but it’ll be better than nothing! LMK if you want us to help out - we’d need the sketch in order to get started, then we could fine tune the results as needed.

That would be super, but I’m not sure how to make such a sketch: it’s pretty complex even if you know lego geometry, and I’m not sure how to measure the angle between the two parts (gotta get that one rigth if you wish the curve to be rigth), and don’t have a camera to take pictures of it :-(

Can anybody help with the measuring? I don’t know much about angles, and have no idea on how to figure out curved surfaces (a tutorial would be nice)

-NB