 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4966
Re: Minifig Helmets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:45:10 GMT

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, John Riley wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, TWS Garrison wrote:

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x593.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/193.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/2446.dat

With 3DN's, the parts are all 'different numbers' - there's no reason
to pile up letter suffixes on a single number (unless you're a member
of the 3DN Conservation Club ;).

Well, unless for some reason you've got a database that can recognize that
two parts may be related when they have the same base number.  I'm sure I
know of a database like that somewhere. :)

Personally, I've thought of the "crash helmet" as the helmet that can
accept a visor.  You could also use the word "modern" as a descriptor.
Thus, my two suggestions for 2446 are
Minifig Helmet, Modern Style
&
Minifig Helmet with Visor Pivots

I realize the old classic helmets also have visor pivots, but I've never
seen a visor for them.

For whatever reason, the visor was only made for Castle
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x105
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x523.dat
(note that this part only works well with the narrow-chinstrap version,
IIRC).

I'm perfectly happy with calling these helmets "Minifig Helmet" (maybe
Type I, Type II, Type I with narrow chinstrap, etc.), because that is what
they are: a knight's helm, a motorcycle helmet, a space helmet; really,
they're always helmets.

But I have to agree that Helmet needs to be the second word.  Either
that, or start a "headgear" or "headpiece" subcategory (headpiece seems
better if you include hairpieces), such that all pieces that are to be
worn on the head are titled
Minifig Headgear part name
Such as
Minifig Headgear Crash Helmet
Minifig Headgear Tricorn
Minifig Headgear Chef's Hat
Minifig Headgear Female Hair with Pigtails
etc.

This is certainly my preference, as I prefer similar parts to be grouped
together.  It may be worthwhile to implement this across all the minifig
parts,
so that you get:
Minifig Head
Minifig Arm
Minifig Leg
Minifig Hips
Minifig Torso
Minifig Tool (all handheld items that aren't specifically weapons)
Minifig Weapon (harpoons, pistols, swords, etc)
Minifig Headgear

Some of these exist already, but the last three could be really useful
when you can't remember the name of a piece, but you know that it is a
tool/weapon/headpiece (for example, every time I look for the spanner, I
first think of a wrench).  There wouldn't be many other pieces that fall
in the minifig category that don't fall into one of those subcategories
(airtanks and flippers are the only two I can think of right now).

Makes perfect sense to me.  Ala BrickLink, the other two needed categories
would be "Minifig Neckgear" (airtanks, capes, armour, quivers) and
"Minifig Footgear" (skis, flippers, snowshoes).  I *think* that would
divide all minifig parts into 10 easily-remembered categories.  The only
exception I can think of is
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4079
the Minifig Seat, which is just different from the rest of the minifig
parts.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/