 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4959
4958  |  4960
Subject:
Minifig Helmets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:32:47 GMT

Noticed a few odd things about the Minifig Helmets on the Parts Tracker a
few weeks ago
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x593.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/193.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/2446.dat
The first thing I noticed is that the newer version of the original helmet
(the thick chinstrap version) has been assigned the new 3DN 593.  I
thought that was kinda strange, since every other time I recall LDraw
tracking two versions of the same basic part (e.g., 4085) the standard has
been to append a,b,etc. to the part number.  I'm surprised that these two
are so different as to merit different unofficial numbers, since I can
barely tell them apart[1].

The more arresting thing is that they've been renamed "Minifig Crash
Helmet. . .".  First thought[2]: that's going to make these parts hard to
find on a list of parts.  Second thought: what the heck is a "crash
helmet"?  A trip to dictionary.com later, third thought: well, that name
applies to the Town usage of these parts, but certainly not the Castle or
Space usages.  Which is odd, because I thought LDraw was moving away from
theme-specific names.  Heck, why not just call them "Town Helmet. . .", at
that rate?

Anyone have any thoughts, knowledge, or wisdom on these
suddenly-mysterious parts?

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

[1] The distinction between the two is important because the visor only
works with the earlier version.

[2] Because I'm strange.