 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4669
Re: POLICE Pattern (was Re: door 1 x 3 x 1 new patterns and errors in parts on PT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 13:40:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Mark Kennedy writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John Riley writes:
Whoops.  I forgot to remove MLCAD's ROTATION meta commands, and to edit the
name.  Here's the real subpart, with correct heading.

Personaly I'd suggest using ring primitives on the letters O and C to save
space.

Me, too.
But there aint no rings with a x-radius-difference of 1 and
z-radius-difference of 1.125. Or you need to have overlapping
rings. Even using ndis, segm (chord) primitives and triangles
filling up is not possible, because the outer edges of the
ndis primitive reach out beyond the size of the letter.
And for the letter C, the cutout is also quite hard to fit
using primitives.

For this part I might reccommend replacing the ndis and disc
primitives around and inside the O and C with quads or triangles
to eliminate gaps when ray-traced. The not true round shape is
no problem in such a small pattern.

Niels

I think the O could be done with overlapping rings (and roughly 3/4 of the
C), now that I think about it (I may try it before converting everything
over to quads).  But considering the C cannot be done without using quads,
it may look odd that the O is round while the C is not.  Considering Niels'
last statement, I'll just go with converting the ndis and disc primitives to
quads.  Thanks for your help.

John