 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4645
Re: New Parts Category? Sport?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 18:23:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John Riley writes:
Hi all,

While perusing the parts library last night, I noticed that none of the
pieces specific to LEGO Sports (Basketball and Soccer/Football) have been
modeled yet.  I may start a few of them soon, but would like to know if we
should agree on a naming convention ahead of time to avoid misplacements.

Pieces that fall into this group are:
Balls (Soccer balls and basketballs)
Minifig holders (at least 3 pieces, plus one complete assembly)
8x8 Bricks with Pin holes for the minifig holders (I think there are at
least 3 of these)
Goalie gloves
Basketball hoop
Basketball net

I can only think of two categories appropriate:
Sport  and  Minifig Sport

I prefer Sport, as it keeps it out of the way for most people, since I don't
see these to be wildly popular pieces for modeling (unless someone is
extremely intent on doing a stadium).

Any opinions?

John

I dont see a problem with the exception of the holders and 8x8 bricks as
these can be used for not sport models.  But the basketballs, gloves, etc..
are very specific in their use and therefore would warrent a sport category.

Steve is the parts guru so he'll have to agree as well.

-Orion

The only reason I included the holders and the bricks is that their primary
use is for sports models.  Pretty much any piece out of this line could be
used outside the sports line (except the balls).  Just thinking off the top
of my head, the basketball/quidditch hoops could be used as hyperspace gates
for mini-style space ships, a la Cowboy Bebop.  But I guess the holders
could fall under minifig accessory (like the seats) while the field/court
bricks could fall under the brick category.

John