 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4690
Re: New Parts Category? Sport?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 15:29:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, John Riley wrote:

I can only think of two categories appropriate:
Sport  and  Minifig Sport

Hmm.  Regular 'things', like soccer balls, I could see grouping under
Minifig Accessory.  It's the special-purpose addon pieces, the bases and
handles and minifig holders that really need another grouping.

I'm drawing a blank on a name for such a group, so I think 'Sport' is
alright for now.

If we can generate a few different category names, it might be worthy of
a poll on www.ldraw.org.

Steve

Gave it some more thought this weekend (while watching basketball and
playing LEGO basketball, love the Streetball set).

Taking a sampling of parts from the Soccer/Football line, some key parts are:

Soccer Ball
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x45px1
Goalie Stick
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30493
Minifig Stand
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30488
Field Section 8 x 8
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30492

They all could fall under a Sports heading.  Another possible name is
Athletics (but Sports makes more sense, as that is the name of the product
line).

Without a Sports category, I would name those pieces as follows:
Soccer Ball:  Minifig Soccer Ball (with Minifig Accessory as the category)
Goalie Stick:  Bar with Grip (I don't know the length off hand)
Minifig Stand:  Minifig Stand (with Minifig Accessory as the category)
Field Section:  Brick  8 x 8 with Playing Surface

So it's possible to use the existing categories with these pieces.  The
question is, is using the existing categories acceptable, or is the
convenience of adding another category worthwhile?

The fact that noone has done these pieces yet probably is an indicator that
the use of them outside of a sport setting is limited or of little interest.
It may be convenient to have them in a separate group just so modelers don't
have additional pieces clogging up their main groups in MLCad/LeoCad/etc.  I
already dislike the fact that the Minifig group in MLCad is huge, and hard
to sort out body parts from tools using the group rules.

I guess the poll question would then be:

For the parts primarily used in the LEGO Sports product line, how would you
like to see these parts categorized?  Parts under consideration:  Balls,
Hoops, Goalie Sticks, Minifig Stand, Field Sections, etc. (Pics available at
Peeron, LUGNET discussion at http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=4641)

Choice A:  Into Existing Categories:  Balls, Hoops fall under Minifig
Accessory, Goalie Sticks fall under Bar, Field Sections fall under Brick,
Minifig Stands fall under Minifig Accessory

Choice B:  Into a New Category:  All of these parts fall under Sports
category (name TBD later).

Choice C:  A mix of the above:  Parts that are generic (Minifig Stands) get
categorized as in Choice A, all other parts that appear to sport specific
get put in a new category (Balls, Hoops, Field Sections)

I think these are the final choices.  Some people may prefer that Choice C
is used, since a few of the pieces are truly generic, but haven't found a
real use outside the Sports line.

Well, I think my two cents are used up by this point.  Any one else have a
thought on these parts, or am I correct that there is little interest?

John