 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3905
3904  |  3906
Subject:
Dibs on 2x4, Left & Right, Wedge Bricks!!! (was Re: Avoiding Duplication of Effort)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:51:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky writes:
On a side note, the wedge bricks haven't been done, so go for it Richard

Yeah, I figured this out about two hours ago. Dibs, people -- I am calling
dibs on the 2x4, left and right, wedge bricks.  Please, do not author these
parts!

The main reason I was so put out by someone else doing the plates is that I
am trying to author a parts creation tutorial from the point of inception,
through certification, all the way to publication in an Ldraw parts update.
Those plates, and now these bricks, are simple and yet have a smattering of
complexity that makes them ideal for a tutorial.  These bricks lend
themselves easily to comparisons to more common DAT elements like 1x4 and
2x4 bricks as well as to the more complex curved slope wedge DAT elements
recently authored by Franklin Cain, and now even the wedge plates authored
by Schickele. With these comparisons I can show a would-be author how these
elements line up as regards their coordinate points, at least in some cases,
as well as visually showing them how certain characteristics of a DAT
element can be understood to align with certain charcteristics of other DAT
elements. In a word: ideal.

So anyway, no joke -- I am trying to get this project okayed by Steve Bliss
(the parts updating guy) and Ahui Herrera (Ldraw's documentation guy).  It
is a serious endeavor and I don't want to have to compete with others to get
these brick DATs done while I am simultaneously documenting my work, taking
screen shots, and exploring how best to explain to a novice how to author a
DAT element.  All of the same ideas I had considered in developing a
tutorial with the plates can easily be transferred over to a tutorial
designed around the authoring of the bricks instead.

Please respect my efforts in this area.

Thanks,

-- Hop-Frog