 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3661
Re: "Hold" placed on tyre (was Re: Tyre for this wheel, does it exist in the distro?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 21:11:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tony Hafner writes:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
anyway... The number of segments used in the tyre to approximate a circular
tyre rim (sidewall bead) does not match the number of segments used in the
wheel that it mates with.

This means that at extreme zoom you can see places where there is a gap
between the wheel rim lip and the tyre sidwall bead, and other places where
the tyre sidewall bead and the wheel rim overlap. Slightly and only visible
at extreme mag.

What is policy on this? Is this a valid reason for a hold? The tyre has the
number of segments that it ought to because of the tread pattern it uses.
The wheel has the number of segments that it does because it's built using
primitives, i think.

In my opinion, this may be a valid reason to put "(needs work)" on a part.
Or perhaps that's even too harsh.  However, I'd much rather have this
version of the part than no version at all.  The "error", if it is such, is
"Slightly and only visible at extreme mag."

The part is good enough for now, and passes the critical checks:
orientation, origin, and filename.  And it looks pretty darn good.  At that
kind of magnification, you'll notice other errors in the corresponding
wheel- see how the axle hole isn't mapped quite perfectly to the surrounding
circle?

I hate to dig up this thread, but Tore had a very good point in a post about
a month ago that I think we could all take to heart.  I'll skip the thread
reference, but this part of the message is very useful:

"The parts I make are good enough for making instructions
  and overqualified for animations, but never good enough
  for the authorizing crew."

"There is a balance between quality and quantity and my
  opinion is that this whole thing has heeled over badly to
  paying attention to insignificant details."

My apologies to Tore for resurrecting and chopping up his post, but again- I
think this is a valid point.  On that note, I'm off to re-review a part or
two that I reviewed a while back...

Good point and I would say "thanks" for resurrecting that. As a new reviewer
and a non technical one at that my concern is more that I would
inadvertantly let something through that was not up to the standards that
others expect, because I don't exactly completely know what to review for.
But your post gives a better perspective I think. Thanks for sharing.

Although Steve's suggestion (that circle primitives might be a good
approach) is a good one I don't think I'm going to ask for that at this
time. Who am I to judge that?

I am off to remove the hold from that part and I won't even be replacing it
with a needs work. It's plenty fine, looks great in renders.