 CAD / 7939
7938  |  7940
Subject:
"Hold" placed on tyre (was Re: Tyre for this wheel, does it exist in the distro?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 15:23:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I don't think "quick lookup" is working right in the parts tracker because
when I put "30.4" in the box, it gave me an error "library subdir must be
included with filename"...

The "Quick Lookup" box only takes part numbers/filenames.  And it
doesn't handle all conceivable situations very well...

To actually search the unofficial parts for "30.4", you can either:

Go to <http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptlist.cgi> and use your browser's
find-in-page command to search, or...

Go to <http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptscan.cgi> and type 30.4 in the
input box.

But I see you already found what you were looking for.

Yes I got what I needed, thanks. However I voted "hold" on the part. The
reasons I gave in the hold had to do with the sidewall bead width, plus I
found another "flaw" which I need advice on. What's the right group to
discuss? cad.dat.parts?

FUT set there because I think so.

anyway... The number of segments used in the tyre to approximate a circular
tyre rim (sidewall bead) does not match the number of segments used in the
wheel that it mates with.

This means that at extreme zoom you can see places where there is a gap
between the wheel rim lip and the tyre sidwall bead, and other places where
the tyre sidewall bead and the wheel rim overlap. Slightly and only visible
at extreme mag.

What is policy on this? Is this a valid reason for a hold? The tyre has the
number of segments that it ought to because of the tread pattern it uses.
The wheel has the number of segments that it does because it's built using
primitives, i think. Changing the wheel to match the tyre would be hard (and
if you rotated the tyre by a non segment number of degrees you 'd still have
overlaps) Changing the tyre to match the wheel would be enve harder because
it would mean you did not have a nice segment primitive, each segment would
have to be done separately and you'd STILL have the overlap problem on rotation.

Believe it or not this is the first time I have ever used a tyre in a model.
I bet this "problem" applies to many tyres... does it?

Does this matter or should I release the hold? It's a nice tyre in all other
respects.

Is there a FAQ entry about this?

(Steve I warned you I'd be asking dumb questions once I could review things!)