 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3604
Re: More accurate hand? (was Re: Work-in-progress improved minifig arm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 04:39:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ryan Farrington writes:
Sorry, all, :]  I forgot Steve Bliss already briefly mentioned redoing the
hand, so ignore anything in my post that sounds like I'm the only one who
ever thought of it. :)

I might have talked about it, but I'm not doing anything on it right now.
Feel free to run with it. :)

I wonder if it would be worth it to re-make the minifig hands too. The
hand
should tilt away from the hand "stem" at an angle of about 15 degrees.
Right
now, to get the correct angle of the hand to the arm, the hand has to be
tilted so the solids intersect.

I think I measured it at 17 degrees once, but I might have mis-measured (or
be misremembering).  Or maybe Tore told me that was the angle.  It's been
awhile.

Well, at first glance, using a spear as pointer, it looked like 17 degrees
to me also.  However, I did the following and came up with 14.5 degrees:

1. Lay a minifig up next to a piece of paper, with the hand in the up
position and a spear in the hand.
2. Trace the outline of the arm and part of the spear.
3. Rotate the spear 180 degrees, line up the arm with the previous trace,
and trace the spear.
4. Extend the spear lines out to meet on one end and far enough to measure
with a protractor on the other end.
5. Measure the angle: 29 degrees.

This makes the hand angle 14.5 degrees, but there is inherently some error
in the measurement due to the small size of the arm being used for alignment
and the slight flex of the spear when it is outlined.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)