 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2626
Re: MiniBot Head Star Wars Battle Droid is complete
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 12:49:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:

Does anyone
know what the current thinking is on warped quads?  Was this discussed
during the great BFC debate?

Generally, warped quads are bad.  Even if a rendering program detects
the warpage, it has to guess at the correct rendering.  Typically, this
means to split the quad into two triangles, along one of the diagonals.
In other words, go from this:

+--+
|  |
|  |
+--+

to this

+--+
| /|
|/ |
+--+

or this

+--+
|\ |
| \|
+--+

But the program can't know for certain which is the better choice.

BTW, part authors can use L3P to check their parts for warped quads.
The general command is:

l3p -check -det0.1 -dist1 <file>

Read more in l3p.txt.

Steve