 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2618
Re: MiniBot Head Star Wars Battle Droid is complete
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 20:10:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Nathan Wright writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse writes:
This piece is so cool.  But some of the optional lines aren't quite
right.  A few appear when they shouldn't and some never seem to show
at all.  You can see this in l3glite.  Load the piece and zoom in so
it fills the window.  Then spin it around with the mouse.
You can do the same thing with l3lab.  Zoom in 1000% and turn off
linetypes 3 and 4.   Then hold the ctrl key and spin the piece with
the mouse.

It didn't take very long (only a couple of hours) to put all of the lines on
it. Then I checked it in MLCAD and L3Lab (1200%), and I saw that a chunk of
lines that would not show where they should and a few lines that would not
disappear.  For the next 5 days (2 to 3 hours each day,)I worked on getting
them to show up in the right places. It works fairly well when you consider the
size it is going to be when people use this in a model.

So I am not going to working on it anymore, it drove me nuts enough already
(unless I begin to like it...)

I know how that is.  I've only made one piece and it took me so long
that I haven't found the motivation yet to do another.  Anyways, I was
just trying to be helpful, but perhaps I should quit cad.dat.parts
until I make another piece so can I remember better how much work it
is.

I will make one more suggestion though FWIW.  I think part of the
problem with the type 5 lines is that the points in many of the quads
are not co-planar.  While this is legal in the DAT file format, it
does make it difficult to get the optional lines to look good.  Take a
piece of paper and crease it diagonally.  Then view it edge on and
you'll see the front and rear edges cross.  This means the optional
lines on these edges would cross when viewed from that angle.  Also I
suspect most of the viewing programs have to take extra steps to
convert warped quads into triangles before rendering.  Does anyone
know what the current thinking is on warped quads?  Was this discussed
during the great BFC debate?

Don