 CAD / 8801
Re: Primitives and quads/triangles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:11:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Niels Karsdorp writes:
When I was working on the old Type I trainbase 6 x 12,
I also wanted correct wheels for this part. Since I have
these, I tried to create the wheel. In my first attempt
I used primitives only, but the cones looked horrible
when rendered. In my seccond attempt I created a small
segment (of 5.625 degrees) and created a whole wheel
of 64 segments. This part contains over 700 quads and
over 700 lines. In a third attempt I used primitives
for discs, rings and cylinders, and quad-segments for
the cones (64 segments in a circle).

While your goal is to create something that looks good after L3P has
converted it to POV format, bear in mind that it should ideally also look
good in the original LDraw format.  Using primitives for the cylinders, and
not for the cones will cause problems when rendered with a standard LDraw
renderer.

I would agree with Tore's suggestion to use the 0 IFPOV method.  Use
primitives for both the cylinders and cones to look as good as possible with
standard renderers, and 0 IFPOV to look great in POV.  This would of course
require more work on your part.

I do have one question, though.  I notice that the new-style train wheel
appears to use one cone for each conical section, while you obviously used
multiple.  Is that because they are different sized cones?  Also, are yours
not quite the right size?  There are gaps visible, and if the cones met up
exactly I don't think the gaps would be visible.

--Travis Cobbs