 CAD / 8799
8798  |  8800
Subject:
Primitives and quads/triangles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:59:55 GMT

When I was working on the old Type I trainbase 6 x 12,
I also wanted correct wheels for this part. Since I have
these, I tried to create the wheel. In my first attempt
I used primitives only, but the cones looked horrible
when rendered. In my seccond attempt I created a small
segment (of 5.625 degrees) and created a whole wheel
of 64 segments. This part contains over 700 quads and
over 700 lines. In a third attempt I used primitives
for discs, rings and cylinders, and quad-segments for
the cones (64 segments in a circle).

The rendered results can be seen on my question website:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~niels-karsdorp/ldraw/question.htm
(click on the wheels to show a 640x480 POV-Ray render).

Which technique shall I use on my wheels?
(I also planned to create more wheels:
* old train locomotive wheel with spokes
  (same as the one above, but a more cone shape,
   used to prevent the anti-slip tyres from falling off)
* a wheel like 7039.dat, but with spokes

I also rendered the existing trainwheel (4180D.dat),
yech, that one doesn't look wel... :-(

Wheel 7039.dat has a few gaps, but when tyres are
applied, these gaps become invisible.

Niels Karsdorp