 CAD / 7821
    Re: Overlapping quads/triangles for patterns —Chris Dee
   (...) Welcome Niels When making patterned parts, it is allowable to overlap regions of the same colour, but you should not overlap regions of different colours. Regards, Chris (22 years ago, 26-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Overlapping quads/triangles for patterns —Franklin W. Cain
   (...) Niels, While I wouldn't consider this grounds for "hold"-ing the pattern, other reviewers might (and have done so...). So, I would discourage this. Instead, try to find the "best" (or easiest) mid-point(s) to use, and prevent the overlaps. (...) (22 years ago, 26-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Overlapping quads/triangles for patterns —Travis Cobbs
   (...) I'll add my 2 cents as the author of LDView. This won't usually cause any visual problems, but it can. If you enable specular in LDView, it's possible for the shininess to be different on the two, resulting in noise where they overlap. It's (...) (22 years ago, 28-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Overlapping quads/triangles for patterns —Niels Karsdorp
   Hi (...) I only used overlap for an some letters, like "X", in a pattern or the red cross. For all the surrounding polygons I don't use overlap. Another effect when not using overlaps is that you can see a small gap between two or more adjescent (...) (22 years ago, 28-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Overlapping things in general —Larry Pieniazek
     A related question on overlap: Anything that is flexible either needs to be modeled at every possible curvature or needs to have an atomic unit that is small enough to look good at various bend radii. The flextube model technique (with ends and (...) (22 years ago, 28-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: Overlapping things in general —Travis Cobbs
     (...) While this won't look good if drawn using a transparent color, it's less likely to have the noise problem that overlapped polygons in a pattern have, due to the fact that the various segments aren't likely to result in co-planar overlapped (...) (22 years ago, 29-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Overlapping quads/triangles for patterns —Travis Cobbs
   (...) If the join points are modeled to be the same, there shouldn't be any visible gaps between the polygons. However, it could be that they will be there in some modeling/viewing apps. And, even in your "X" and "+" exaples, noise might be apparent (...) (22 years ago, 29-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)